Monday, September 15, 2008

Inspired

I was just reading an article by Virginia Satir where she discusses the positive use of self in therapy. She says:

"...the therapist's task is to enable patients to utilize their own resources. If I believe that human beings are sacred, then when I look at their behavior, I will attempt to help them live up to their own sacredness. If I believe that human begins are things to be manipulated, then I will develop ways to manipulate them. If I believe that patients are victims, then I will try to rescue them. In other words, there is a close relationship between what I believe and how I act. The more in touch I am with my beliefs, and acknowledge them, the more I give myself freedom to choose how to use those beliefs" (Satir, 1987, p. 27).

I am inspired by this.

In school, I learned how important it is for a therapist/social worker to keep their opinions and experiences out of the helping relationship. The concept isn't complicated--if the helping person is always talking about what they went through or what they think is right or important, then the client/patient muddles their needs and goals with the therapist's. Boundaries get blurred, dependence is fostered and treatment goals become less sincere etc.

However, therapists can skillfully use their impressions, experiences, hopes to further the therapeutic relationship. It becomes a matter of selectively choosing what you want to share about yourself to further treatment. I love the idea that I can empower clients by helping them understand how sacred I believe they are...

No comments: