Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Spiritual Dimension

Lately, when I've had extra work time, I've begun reading certain texts so that I can eventually become a better therapist. My supervisor lent me a book, The Use of Self in Therapy (Baldwin, 2000) that I've been slowly tackling. My post yesterday was inspired by a reading from Virginia Satir and today I'm going to quote Carl Rogers, another influential therapist.

In his article, he talked a lot about his career, which has largely been focused on a client-centered approach to therapy. He believes that when a therapist is able to really empathetically, positively, and honestly connect with a client on several different levels, empowerment can happen for the client. I was especially struck by this:

"I would put it that the best of therapy sometimes leads to a dimension that is spiritual, rather than saying that the spiritual is having an impact on therapy. But it depends on your definition of spiritual. There are certainly times in therapy and in the experiences I have had with groups where I feel that there is something going on that is larger than what is evident...sometimes in interpersonal relationships power and energy get released which transcend what we though was involved" (p.36-37).

I think I was struck because I've felt that spiritual dimension enter my sessions with clients and it has caught be off guard. I experienced it a little last night when I took a client to a Narcotics Anonymous youth meeting. Those instance catch you off guard because you wouldn't think that a room full of kids in their fluorescent Nikes, sideways hats, piercings, and war stories would be capable of dialoguing with those sorts of serious, even eternal concepts. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. There is a larger part to life than we realize and when you loose your potential with drugs or violence, the desire to get your ducks back in a row takes on an existential and spiritual quest.

Before reading the quote, though, I guess I was thinking my thoughts about this issue were purely related to my own personal convictions about the purpose of life. It was interesting to see, though, that a hugely influential and nonreligious person agrees that this type of work has an undoubtedly spiritual element to it. In some ways, accepting that the spiritual dimension is there makes my job a little more daunting and in another way, it makes it an honor to help (or try to help) people in that way.

No comments: